Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Choosing Needles

I'm a fan of bamboo needles. I like the way the feel. They aren't heavy. They don't make noises when I knit. Plus, they look nice. I didn't see myself using anything else. Then I started a project using Lion Brand Homespun yarn. If you haven't seen it already, its a pretty loose yarn. Plus it is made with acrylic. I'm not a fan of knitting with plastic like yarn. Its a huge difference after you've been knitting with 100% wool for so long. But I thought what the heck! It looks nice and its very economical. Well, after knitting the first part of the project, I was ready to toss it out the window. Then I did some reading online and I thought I would try metal needles. I know, I know, but I love bamboo! Well, what I learned is that sometimes you have to adjust and be willing to go outside what you think you like. Because guess what? Knitting the Homespun yarn with metal needles is an entirely different world! The yarn doesn't squeak anymore (I know it sounds weird but believe me, it does) and it flows nicely from one needle to the next. I can actually enjoy knitting with it! Who'd of thought? So the moral of the story is do a little research if you are getting frustrated. Chances are someone else is too and has a solution! Happy knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment